Questions and Answers on post Withdrawal Agreement

  1. Will people still be able to apply for the MUKW1, 2 or 3 going forward?
    Yes, there is no deadline for the submission of residency applications. Eligible persons whose residency rights are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, who have not applied for residence documents by the end of the transition period, continue to have the right to apply for residence documents, provided they can submit documentary evidence of their residency prior to the end of the transitional period.


  1. Do I need to change my MEU document to the new biometric card?
    You have the right to replace your EU residence document for the new one but you are not required to. However, we would recommend that you get it, as this document will declare your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, will simplify administrative processes and border crossings.

For more information, you can read the Cypriot government guidance on the Withdrawal Agreement.

  1. What will UKN’s apply for if they were not resident prior to 31 December 2020.

UK Nationals who are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement and wish to come to Cyprus after the 31 December 2020 (end of the transition period), will need to meet Cyprus immigration rules. Please refer to the Ministry of Interior website for more information and other categories.

If they are retirees, they will have to apply under Category F as Third Country Nationals.

  1. To register with Gesy what do I need?

You must register as a Cypriot resident if you’re living or working in Cyprus for more than 3 months. If you’re working in Cyprus, you must also register with the Cyprus Social Insurance Services and pay healthcare contributions.


Once you’re a resident, you can register with a Cypriot doctor through the General Healthcare System (GHS). You must be registered with both the GHS and a doctor to access state healthcare in Cyprus. Once you’re registered with the GHS, you’ll be able to access state healthcare services.


You may need a referral from your doctor or a specialist for certain services.


If you’re on a low income, receive certain benefits or have an S1, you can apply for a medical card. A medical card means your co-payments will be lower or free when you access state healthcare services.


You cannot use your EHIC in Cyprus once you’re a resident.


If you’re registered for healthcare as a worker or a permanent resident, you may be entitled to a Cypriot EHIC for travel, including visits to the UK.


You may also have the right to apply for a UK S1 if you start drawing a UK State Pension.


How to register

Create an account with the GHS. You can either register online through the GHS Beneficiary Portal, or in person with your doctor.


Once you have a GHS account you must register with a GHS-listed doctor.


How much you’ll pay

State healthcare in Cyprus is not free. You may have to pay some of the cost of any treatment or service, for example:


  • 1 euro for a prescribed medicine or medical product
  • 6 euros to see a specialist with a referral from your GP
  • 25 euros to see a specialist without a referral from your GP
  • 10 euros to go to A&E


Depending on your age, you’ll get a number of free visits with your registered GP each year. Your GP can tell you how many visits you’re entitled to. Once you’ve used up your free GP visits, you’ll pay up to 15 euros per visit.


If you have a medical card, your co-payments are less.


For more information visit the UK government guidance on Healthcare for UK nationals living in Cyprus.


  1. Why do I still need to get an S1 from the UK NHS?

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you’re a Cypriot resident and receive a UK State Pension.

Once you have an S1 form, you must register it with the GHS. This will mean you and your dependants will be entitled to healthcare in Cyprus on the same basis as an insured Cypriot citizen.

If you started living in Cyprus before 1 January 2021, you may also be entitled to an S1 if you receive some other ‘exportable benefits’.

For more information on how to get and how use an S1 Form in Cyprus, visit the UK government guidance on Healthcare for UK nationals living in Cyprus.


  1. If I do apply for an S1 what about my rights to healthcare in the UK when I go back?
    UKN’s who retired here before 31 December 2020 and who have an S1 can still expect to receive medical care/help in the UK without charge but they must present the S1 to their provider. However, it is the providers choice whether or not to offer treatment – if they choose not to, the person can go to another provider.


UKN’s may be asked to provide evidence of their residency in Cyprus.
Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK war pensioners and UK government employees.

UKN’s who retire here post WA can still apply for an S1 however this group should not expect NHS services for free unless they have an EHIC for emergency only (or if they have lost the EHIC they can apply for a Provisional Replacement Card PRC) or an S2 to prove that healthcare costs are funded by Cyprus – they must check first with NHS UK to find out if an S2 is required. The phone number to do so is + 44 (0) 300 311 2233


  1. If I am not registered with Gesy and do not have an S1, can I use my EHIC/GHIC in Cyprus? 

You cannot use your EHIC in Cyprus once you’re a resident. You can use a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) only for temporary stays. These cards do not cover treatment or the medical needs to UK Nationals who are resident in Cyprus. In this instance, you will need to register with Gesy or have private health insurance.

© Cyprus Residency Planning Group 2019. All rights reserved.