Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Date : 08/02/2020 09:30:00

  1. What is an MEU1 and do I need one?

ANSWER – An MEU1 is a Certificate of Registration and allows EU nationals temporary residence in the Republic of Cyprus and is required after 3 months residence – see official web pages    If you do not you are liable to a fine ( but rarely enforced yet)

  1. What is an MEU3 and do I need one?

ANSWER – An MEU3 is a Certificate of Permanent Residence and gives you most of the rights and privileges of a Cypriot Citizen and is guaranteed for life (provided you do not stay away more than 5 years). It is not compulsory but is highly recommended  . – see official RoC Gov site 

  1. Does an MEU 1 have an expiry date?

CURRENT ANSWER: No – Cyprus law on free movement and residency of EU citizens See official web site 

  1. Is it mandatory to change to an MEU3?

CURRENT ANSWER – No, provided you have an MEU 1 but  it is highly recommended   see Cyprus law on free movement and residency of EU citizens (  – Para 18(2) a&b

  1. Can I get help?

ANSWER  If you need support because you are elderly, disabled, have difficulty understanding the process, or live remotely and have nobody to help you, then contact the CRPG team using the contact form in this website. Alternatively you can telephone us on 99749 531.

  1. Will an existing MEU 1 be valid after the UK withdraws from the EU?

ANSWER  Yes.however, it only allows temporary residence in Cyprus.

  1. What if I don’t yet Qualify for an MEU3:

ANSWER : You can still get an MEU1 until 31st December 2020. The Government of The Republic of Cyprus have confirmed that  provided you are resident in The Republic of  Cyprus prior to 31st December 2020 an MEU1 will remain valid until you can apply for an MEU3 or its replacement

  1. Will pre 2004 bi-national UK/Cyprus agreements still be valid / upheld ? – were they rescinded – when and by whom.

CURRENT ANSWER – No. For EU citizens, including UK nationals, all pre-2004 residency permits have been replaced with MEU1 and MEU3

  1. If one of my parents is Cypriot, do I need to register for residency?

Answer: This depends on a number of factors.  If your parent holds a Cypriot ID card or passport then you would be entitled to apply for the same.  Alternatively, if your parent only holds a UK passport you can apply for either Cypriot citizenship or register for residency.  Please note that all Cypriot citizens under the age of 45 are required to complete National Service

  1. What documents are required to apply for MEU1 ?

ANSWER – See MEU1 section of this web site or go to

An MS Word application form is at the bottom of the page there, and can best be downloaded from there

  1. What  documents are required for an MEU 3

ANSWER – See MEU3 Doc, or

The MS Word form is at the bottom of the page there, and can best be downloaded from there

  1. What are the processes for MEU 1?

ANSWER See See FAQ10  for latest documentation and see MEU 1 process page on for the easiest way to do it.

  1. What are the processes for MEU 3?

ANSWER See See FAQ11  for latest documentation and see MEU3 Process page on for the easiest way to do it.

  1. Do I need to provide photographs if so what are the photograph requirements size, shape, pose, background ?

ANSWER Yes – It has to be a Cyprus passport size color and standard – I advise the use of a professional photographer they know the standard. If you cannot get to one there is an app for mobile phone to take Passport Photos

  1. Where can I get the Authority to Represent Form?

ANSWER:  From us. Send request with reason and copy of disability certificate to  / call 99826087 ; However this is not enough for the BANK, Electricity Board or Land Registry for that you need the Limited Power of Attourney also available from us.

  1. Does an HM forces person / dependent living off the SBA need an MEU1 / 3

ANSWER :No.  All serving personnel and dependents, as well as Crown servants employed on the SBA are exempt

  1. What is the deadline for applications for MEU1 and MEU3 for UK Nationals living in Cyprus?


MEU1 and MEU3 applications will be accepted until the new EU-wide residency document procedure is implemented by the Cyprus Ministry of Interior. Any UK nationals within the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement will receive either an MEU1 or MEU3 document, or if applying after the new procedure will be in place, will receive the new residency document.

  1. I understand the transition period ends 31st December, 2020. Will I still be able to apply for residency after that date?


Yes so long as you can prove that you were legally resident before 31st December 2020 you will currently be entitled to apply for MEU1 or MEU3 and later for the new residency document.

  1. I have applied for residency (MEU1 or MEU3) How long can I expect to wait for a response?

ANSWER. Normally, you should expect to wati 3 to 6 months before you receive your certificate. Currently there are delays in the processing of residency applications due to the high demand. If your application has been outstanding for over six months then we recommend you contact the Civil Registry & Migration Department in Nicosia. You should have your MEU application reference number to hand so your case can be looked into. The contact number is 22802353

  1. I own property in Cyprus and plan to retire here in the future. Will that be possible?

ANSWER If you own property in the Republic of Cyprus we recommend that you apply for residency. This will mean you can continue to live, work and access services in Cyprus for as long as you remain resident. After 2020, UK nationals who are not resident in the Republic of Cyprus will be subject to Cyprus Immigration Rules. The current practice in Cyprus is for non-EU nationals who do not require a visa to be admitted for 90 days.

  1. Where can I find out more information about how the Cypriot government is going to support UK nationals who need help to apply for residency?

ANSWER We welcomed the announcement by the Ministry of Interior and their plans to support residency applications for roughly 5,000  UK nationals in Cyprus who are unable for a variety of reasons to apply in person. The British High Commission is working with local groups and  charities on island as well as the Ministry to ensure  those people have their rights safeguarded by the end of 2020. Please continue to follow our pages to keep updated of developments. We hope to be able to make a further announcement soon.

  1. Will my healthcare rights change now that the UK has left the EU?

ANSWER There will be no changes to UK access to healthcare in Cyprus or any other EU member state before 31 December 2020. Visitors to Cyprus can also continue to use EHICs as you did before during this time. If you are living in Cyprus now or move here permanently, before 31 December 2020, you will have lifelong healthcare rights in Cyprus, as you currently do, provided you remain resident. Future mobility rights and therefore reciprocal healthcare rights between the UK and EU will be subject to future negotiations.

  1. I am a UK national below state pension age currently living in the EU. Am I entitled to a UK S1 and EHIC after the transition period?

ANSWER If you are a UK national who is yet to reach state pension age, you will have the right to apply for a UK S1 once you start drawing your UK state pension, providing you are legally resident in Cyprus by the end of the transition period and continue to reside here. At this point you would also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC valid for travel across the EU. In the meantime, you should continue to access healthcare through the appropriate route. This may mean paying a contribution into the Member State system or purchasing insurance.

  1. If I have a UK driving licence which has not expired do I need to change it to a Cypriot one?

ANSWER If you are legally resident in Cyprus, we strongly encourage you to obtain a Cyprus driving licence. When you visit the UK, you will still be able to drive on your Cyprus licence. If you reside in the UK, you can continue to use your UK driving licence for short trips to Cyprus, until the end of December 2020. From 1 January 2021, we recommend that you obtain an international driving permit if you plan to visit Cyprus.

  1. Will I be able to cross the Green Line in my Turkish-Cypriot registered vehicle?

ANSWER We are aware that some UK citizens were informed that after 31 January they will not be able to renew their TOM89 certificate, which are necessary to drive vehicles from the north of Cyprus into the Republic of Cyprus. The advice you have been given is incorrect. Until the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, there will be no change to the rules on travel to, from or within Cyprus for United Kingdom nationals, including motorists crossing the Green Line. This includes being able to renew or purchase a TOM89 certificate. If you experience problems doing this please let us know. We recognise that Britons living in the north of Cyprus are keen for these arrangements to continue after 31 December and will keep you updated as we have more information.

26. We are UK citizens living in the north of Cyprus but mostly exit and re-enter Cyprus via Larnaca airport. Will it still be possible to do this within the transition period?

ANSWER Until the end of transition period, all UK nationals will be able to enter/exit Larnaca or Paphos airport on the same basis as other EU nationals. From 1 January 2021, UK nationals who are not resident in the Republic of Cyprus will be subject to Cyprus immigration rules. The current practice in the Republic of Cyprus is for non-EU nationals who do not require a visa to be admitted for 90 days. The Republic of Cyprus authorities may count time spent in the north of Cyprus towards the 90 day visa free total. After 1 January 2021, as a non-EU national, you may, on arrival, need to show that you have sufficient funds available for the duration of your stay, show proof of a return or onward ticket and answer questions about the intended purpose of your visit. On a related note, you will be aware of the issues around using Ercan airport and the complications this can cause with the Republic authorities. This is expected to remain the case.

  1. I have been living with my partner for several years and need an MEU but I have no tenancy agreement or bills as they are all in his name. How can i proceed?

ANSWER: As far as I have been able to ascertainThere is no fast & hard rule for partners & the requirement will vary case to case. A joint application may help even if not married.

But a good start is the certificate/letter from the local Mukhtar- It  can be in Greek or English so long as the person who will be using it can understand the contents.

The letter must say that:The partners are living together at X address

The letter must include

  1. The full name of the person and their ID type and  number
  2. That the person is personally known to the Mukhtar
  3. Is a resident of the village at XYZ address
  4. Has been a resident at the address for XY years and months
  5. The letter must have:
    1. the full name of the Mukhtar,
    2. his/her official position,
    3. signature and
    4. the official stamp.

Plus the proof of address/residency that the other partner used/is using, ie rental contract or title deeds with other partners name on, utility bills etc. You will still need to cover the whole of the 5 years.

It would be a good idea to contact the immigration office and discuss with them what else may be required.  (Eg local purchase receipts bought with partners foreign debit/credit card to prove they are living day to day in Cyprus……)