An MUKW1 is a Registration Certificate issued to a UK National Citizen who was “in scope” of the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) ( i.e. can prove residence in Cyprus before 31st December 2020) with the intent to remain there. It replaces the old MEU1 which currently remain a valid alternative.
It should be applied for within 90 days of (re-)arrival and is valid 5 years provided that the UKN does not leave Cyprus for more than 180 days.
It is a plastic card and contains biometric data. The Benefits are:
- You can legally reside in Cyprus.
- You can legally work in Cyprus.
- You can join GESY.
- You can (currently buy property).
- You can visit other European countries and return directly to Cyprus.
- You can use the biometric channel should not need other documentation and save time.
- It will be easier to work with any RoC or EU authority requiring. identification.
- You will be afforded the same rights ( in general) as a citizen of the republic of Cyprus).
Non compliance could place the UKN in some jeopardy now that you are no longer EU citizens
- Read and understand MUKW1 as it applies to you see http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf/All/48EA293F58A4E186C225864C00371704?OpenDocument – note you will need to have or download RAR to unzip it and Adobe to fill or print it.
- On-line Application Form will be available at a later date. (allegedly 21st Feb – its not yet)
- Print and Fill out form OR,
- Fill form on-line and print and pay €30 by card, then wait for the receipt case number
- Open a file, paste checklist on front. Tick off each document as added in sequence.
- Call MoI CRMD/ Immigration Office for appointment and get advice (if there is anything unusual about your case) / make booking.
- Work through checklist putting each document in the file in the correct order and check it off.
- Make a note of documents you don’t have, and make a plan to get them.
- Get documents and add each to the file in the correct location and tick it off as you get them.
- All documents should be originals.
- All UK Government forms (Marriage Certificates , Birth Certificates, Divorce Certificate etc – must be Apostilled.
- Photo copy originals and add to file in the same order.
- Assemble documentation with photocopies and check and double check meticulously CRMD will. – ideally independent check!
- Go, on time, to MoI CRMD/ Immigration Office with the documents and photocopies .
- Get documents checked, Biometrics (Fingerprint, photo and signature) scan done.
- Have documents validated.
- Get receipt for application and keep for evidence.
NOTE: For those defined as “Persons-at-risk” by UK FCDO ( and certified by a doctor) help is available through CRPG and our agent will handle it.
- Completed Application form from MOI XXXXXX OR on-line form completed and submitted .
MEU 1 Certificate holders
- Valid passport
- Proof of Residency prior to 31/12/2020
Non Certificate Holders
- Passport – Valid with at least 6 months to run – If out of date or too short see: – arrange new passport and if possible MEU1 or certificate of registration for MEU1
- Proof of Residency prior to 31/12/2020
- Utility Bills in name of Applicant (or applicant’s spouse with marriage certificate ( This will need to be apostilled ) ( NOTE NOT Mobile phone or Municipality bills) OR
- If Home Owner: an original of the Title Deed of the house (or sales / purchase contract), – OR
- Rental Contracts signed and stamped by an authorized by the Gov Agent – The Muktar will know whom), – OR
- Formal Residency Certificate from Muktar signed and stamped.
Notes in all cases If in joint names you will also require Marriage Certificate or Cohabitation certificate (see MoI notes) – If bereaved or divorced or then death certificate or divorce certificate
- Marriage certificate if appropriate
- Divorce certificate if appropriate ( apostilled)
- In all cases proof of income
- If Employed
- If employed:- Confirmation of Engagement by the employer (Part III of the application) andr certificate of employment and 3 months of Social Insurance certificate.
- If self-employed: Certificate of Registration to the Social Insurance Services as self-employed and 3 months of Social Insurance Certificate.
NOTE : IN both cases basis of health insurance If working your GESY and you are covered by your Social Insurance Contribution
b. If Retired or not working you will need proof of :
- Fixed or adequate income from external source; ( a UK Pension should suffice)_e.g. P60, – OR
- Fixed or adequate income from other legal sources; (The UK State Pension is sufficient), – OR
- Adequate deposits in financial institutions in the Republic or abroad (this is substantial) – PLUS
- Bank statements for last 3 months
- Proof of Comprehensive Health insurance in the Republic.
- If retired Your GESY and S1 Form You should have one from UK Health Authority
- Failing that, an Insurance Policy which may be as basic as the Cyprus Immigration Health Policy (See online)
- €30 (cash for each application)