An MUKW1 is a Registration Certificate issued to a UK National Citizen who was “in scope” of the Withdrawal Agreement (WA)  i.e. can prove “residence” – (see notes for definition) in Cyprus before 31st December 2020) with the intent to remain there.  It replaces the old MEU1 which currently remain a valid alternative.

It should be applied for within 90 days of (re-)arrival and is valid 5 years provided that the UKN does not leave Cyprus for more than 180 days.

It is a plastic card and contains biometric data.  The Benefits are:

        • You can legally reside in Cyprus.
        • You can legally work in Cyprus.
        • You can join GESY.
        • You can (currently buy property).
        • You can visit other European countries and return directly to Cyprus.
        • You can use the biometric channel should not need other documentation and save time.
        • It will be easier to work with any RoC or EU authority requiring. identification.
        • You will be afforded the same rights ( in general) as a citizen of the republic of Cyprus).

Non compliance could place the UKN in some jeopardy now that you are no longer EU citizens


      1. Read and understand MUKW1 as it applies to you see Cyprus Gov Page click on and read Show details for Residence Document for UK nation. and UK fam. members (UKW1)Residence Document for UK nation. and UK fam. members — Then: down load the UKW1 .rar file at the bottom of the page.   – note you will need to have, or download RAR to unzip it and Adobe to fill and /or print it. Read and download the relevant files at the bottom of the page.
      2.  On-line Application Form will be available at a later date. (allegedly 21st Feb – May 21s its not yet)
        1. Print and Fill out form OR,
        2. Fill form on-line and print and pay €30 by card, then wait for the receipt case number
      3. Open a file, download, print and paste  checklist on front. Tick off each document as added in sequence.
      4. Call MoI CRMD/ Immigration Office for appointment and get advice (if there is anything unusual about your case) / make booking. OR you can now book on-line click on CRMD Bookings,  – (Then click on Book Now;  “ your local office”;   UK;   ” registration of UK citizens”- select ; and the time slot”– details will then be sent to you confirming).
      5. Next – Work through checklist putting each document in the file in the correct order and check it off.
      6. Make a note of documents you don’t have, and make a plan to get them.
      7. Get documents and add each to the file in the correct location and tick it off as you get them.
      8. All documents should be originals.
      9. All UK Government forms (Marriage Certificates , Birth Certificates, Divorce Certificate etc)– must be Apostilled.
      10. Photo copy originals and add to file in the same order.
      11. Assemble documentation with photocopies and check and double check meticulously CRMD will. – ideally independent check!
      12. Go, on time, to MoI CRMD/ Immigration Office with the documents and photocopies .
      13. Get documents checked, Biometrics (Fingerprint, photo and signature) scan done.
      14. Have documents validated.
      15. Get receipt for application and keep for evidence.

NOTE:  For those defined as “Persons-at-risk”  by UK FCDO ( and certified by a doctor)   help is available through CRPG and our agent will handle it.


      1. Completed Application form from MOI  — OR — on-line form completed and submitted .

MEU 1 Certificate holders

    1. Valid passport
    2. Proof of Residency prior to 31/12/2020

Non Certificate Holders

  1. Passport – Valid with at least 6 months to run –  If out of date or too short see: – arrange new passport and if possible MEU1 or certificate of registration for MEU1
  1. Proof of Residency prior to 31/12/2020
    1. Utility Bills in name of Applicant (or applicant’s spouse with marriage certificate ( This will need to be apostilled ) ( NOTE NOT Mobile phone or Municipality bills) OR
    2. If Home Owner: an original of the Title Deed of the house (or sales / purchase contract), – OR
    3. Rental Contracts signed and stamped by an authorized  by the Gov Agent – The Muktar will know whom), – OR
    4. Formal Residency Certificate from Muktar signed and stamped.

Notes in all cases  If in joint names you will also require Marriage Certificate or Cohabitation certificate (see MoI notes) – If bereaved or divorced or  then death certificate or divorce certificate

  1. Marriage certificate if appropriate ( apostilled)
  2. Divorce certificate if appropriate ( apostilled)
  3. In all cases proof of income
  1. If Employed
    1. If employed:- Confirmation of Engagement by the employer (Part III of the application) and certificate of employment and 3 months of Social Insurance certificate.
    2. If self-employed: Certificate of Registration to the Social  Insurance Services as self-employed and 3 months of Social Insurance Certificate.

NOTE : IN both cases basis of health insurance If working your GESY and you are covered by your Social Insurance Contribution


b. If Retired or not working you will need proof of :

        1. Fixed or adequate income from external source; ( a UK Pension should suffice)_e.g. P60, – OR
        2. Fixed or adequate income from other legal sources; (The UK State Pension is sufficient), – OR
        3. Adequate deposits in financial institutions in the Republic or abroad (this is substantial) – PLUS
        4. Bank statements for last 3 months
        5. Proof of Comprehensive Health insurance in the Republic.
  1. If retired Your GESY and   S1 Form  You should have one from UK Health Authority
  2. Failing that, an Insurance Policy which may be as basic as the Cyprus Immigration Health Policy  (See online)
  1. €30 (cash for each application)